Monday, January 10, 2011

Do As I Say, Not As I......oh, nevermind.

Brian was unloading the dishwasher the other night when Cate came into the kitchen. Not looking where she was going she ran right smack into the dishwasher door, which was down. Giving a mighty scream she bent over to examine her injured shin. "Ouch! That smarts!" said Brian. "Sucks." mumbles Cate. "Excuse me? What did you say?" Brian asks incredulously. Cathryn turns to him and rolling her eyes says: "SUCKS dad. I think the word you are looking for is SUCKS."

That's my girl.

1 comment:

Therese Trevitt said...

I am also facinated by the idea that if WE push hard enough our children will be masters and do well. All of this does not take into account different IQs or innate talent that some kids and adults have. I would never push any child to crush their spirit but like Jennifer, I want these children to enjoy the great world. I want to "water" the talents and hold up the expectation of talent I can see. Cathryn has grown into being a very good artist, better than I can remember myself at age 6. She made a three pictures of the female superheros that were on her t-shirt; I said "WOW these are just fantastic and you drew them upside down", "No they aren't upside down MiMi" she said with a huge Cathryn grin..and then I explained that as she was looking down at her t-shirt to make the images, she was viewing them upside down. But she is so smart that this did not seem hard to her, but many kids could not do this with neck curled to see the imaages and details. I took a photo of her with the art and the t-shirt to keep forever. That was a special moment, no tiger..just open free time at MiMi's house to draw. MiMi